Join Jen Snyder (GovQA Evangelist), Mark Walker (Washington Bureau of the New York Times), Barbara Teague (CoSA: Council of State Archivists), and Lauren Kirchner (Investigative Reporter for The Markup, formerly of Propublica’s Tech beat) during the 2020 NFOIC Summit as they discuss the future of Public Records.
Topics discussed in this summit:
- Pandemic-related delays in public records processing
- Problems caused by paper records (or scanned but not OCR’d records)
- New technologies affecting public records: WhatsApp, personal email, disappearing texts
- Changing requesters – national requesters and research groups – the challenges journalists face
- Funding woes – record-keeping as last priority when it should be first